Thursday, July 2, 2009

irony

Hello everyone,

In two days the OAS will send a Representative to Honduras to demand that Zelaya be returned to power. The US has issued a statement that if Honduras does not comply, they will cut off all aid to Honduras. Those of us who know Honduras know that this could present a real crisis for the country. I don't know what we can do about it, but we probably should be spending the next 36 hours passing on our message of support to anyone that will hear us. Now is the time, guys, for us to make our statement. People are beginning to pay attention, but it is not enough. Until the USA changes its condemnation of Honduras, the Little Country That Could is in jeopardy.

We perhaps should also be considering something I mentioned earlier in my facebook page- the irony of this situation. Over 200 years ago our country stood up for freedom and democracy, and although we are really, truly not perfect, we still have been a safe place for humans seeking democratic refuge (among other things). So, I ask, what is going on here? We take a soft stance on Iran and their brutalization of peaceful protesters demanding a recount on an illegitimate vote count. We take a position of non interference and let the people's voices be squelched by brute force. Then, we have Honduras. On Sunday, they removed a criminal from the presidency. Rather than brutalize human beings, they arrest a criminal president. Not only do they not hurt him, but they ask him if he would prefer to leave the country or prefer to be arrested. Well, he chose to leave the country. Had the people not taken into consideration Zelaya's dignity they would not even be in this position. I don't know, but I suspect that his arrest would have been investigated in a different way and perhaps the international community would have a totally different perspective on this situation. At the very least, had he been arrested and kept inside the country, he would not have been given this opportunity to play the "poor country farmer- victim of a military coup" role. The fate of the people of Honduras is now in the hands of people that have given Zelaya a sympathetic audience for 4 days. So, we have a peaceful change in power and an immediate return to democracy and the USA condemns it AND supports known dictatorships. Just how far gone are we?

I don't want to make this too long. I just ask for everyone to consider what this means for us as a people. I welcome all thoughts and ideas. Also, I will try NOT to only post opinions up here, I will try to place as much fact as I can. I just have this sense of urgency right now that I can't shake. It is because I see the faces of all those people we love and I fear for them. I, and I know many of you reading this, have dedicated much of my life to helping make their lives better and it is time for us to use our voice as best we can. We still have freedom of speech, so let's use that powerful weapon to help these people. I don't know what is going to happen after Saturday, so perhaps our greatest effort should be for the next day and a half. I don't know how much our words will matter if the US and OAS hold on to their demands. I suspect we will know more very soon. I welcome all ideas and comments.

Blessings,
Christina




No comments:

Post a Comment